Glossary of Zen Names and Terms
dharma the way or law; the path; basically, Buddhist teaching, but in a wider sense any teaching or truth.
dharma room: in Zen Master Seung Sahn's centers, the meditation/ceremony hall.
dharma teacher: in the Kwan Um School of Zen, one who has met certain training requirements, usually over at least four years, and has taken ten precepts.
DOL shout to cut off discriminative thinking.
Dok Sahn, Duk Sahn (780-865 CE) one of the greatest Zen Masters in history; trained for forty years studying the Diamond Sutra, then was stumped by a simple question from a tea-vending woman and converted to Zen.
- I vow to abstain from taking life.
- I vow to abstain from taking things not given.
- I vow to abstain from lying.
- I vow to abstain from misconduct done in lust.
- I vow to abstain from intoxicants, taken to induce heedlessness.
great freedom: freedom from all conceptual understanding and bondage that comes in the wake of enlightenment.